Watch an incredible sunset at one of these recommended resorts
As the sun starts to sink across the horizon, the skies ignite with incredible deep orange hues, casting a magical light over the world. Sunsets are one of life’s most beautiful natural phenomenon, a favourite time of the day for many and best enjoyed with a cocktail in hand.
Whether you’re watching the sunset on a white sand beach in the Maldives, against a backdrop of tropical flora in the Caribbean, or on a bustling pier in Florida, there’s no doubt you’ll feel goose bumps. Here are some of our favourite resorts for watching the sunset, which make this stunning moment even more special.
Watching the sun sink behind the Pitons in St Lucia is quite possibly one of the most iconic sunsets in the Caribbean. The striking contrast of bright green flora, dazzling blue ocean and warm orange sunset is just a match made in heaven. Jade Mountain is one of our favourite resorts to visit when we’re aching to see this marvellous sight, offering uninterrupted views of the Pitons from the individual sanctuaries. Each sanctuary has an open wall that leads out onto a large terrace, meaning you can watch the sunset from the comfort of your room.
Many of our resorts so far offer tranquil settings for watching the sunset. But what if you want to turn it into a party? The locals near Shirley Heights in Antigua know all too well that sunsets are the perfect start to a celebration, with delicious smells of barbeque and the fun sound of steel drums leading you from day to night. The Inn at English Harbour is close by to the party, offering a luxurious stay after an evening of dancing.
Though not a resort, we couldn’t write an article about sunsets without mentioning Jamaica’s famous sunset hotspot. Ricks Café is synonymous with sunset watching, listening to reggae and drinking red stripe as the crazy cliff jumpers do their thing.
From sugary sand beaches looking out onto glistening turquoise waters, to small sleepy towns and sweeping rice paddies…Asia’s dreamlike landscapes are full of spectacular sunset spots. As the skies become adorned with a myriad of oranges, yellows, purples and reds, the Far East truly comes alive, and a number of resorts dotted around the region are clearly inspired by this much-loved time of the day.
Nestled on a headland overlooking Kata Beach in Phuket, Kata Rocks graces guests with unsurpassable views of the sunset. It truly is an enviable view, watching vibrant colours dance in the sky as the sun sinks into the sea. Wander along to The Restaurant to indulge in its delicious Mediterranean cuisine and equally as delicious sunset views, or add even more romance with a private dinner on the beach. What could be more idyllic?
With gorgeous villas built with flat lava rock, and a desirable location atop a rugged cliff plateau just above the Indian Ocean, Alila Villas Uluwatu in Bali focuses on the natural beauty of its destination – guaranteeing an amazing front row seat to the sunset. Grab a cold beer and venture to the Sunset Cabana, a wonderful lounge area that juts out over the cliff’s edge, illuminated by the warm glow of the sun as it slowly sinks down.
Nicknamed the ‘Sunshine State’, it’s not just the daytime sun that makes Florida such a wonderful place to visit. Florida’s sunsets are celebrated every single day, with flocks of people crowding round for the best view of this gorgeous start to the evening.
Pier 60, a fishing pier that juts out from the pristine white sands of Clearwater Beach, is a charming yet seemingly normal pier in the day. But, head here from 6.30pm and you’ll discover a fun and lively pier full of street performers, artisans and crafters, all coming together for the Sunsets at Pier 60 celebrations. Taking place every evening from 6.30pm-10.30pm, locals and tourists alike come together to watch the sunset from St Pete and Clearwater’s best seat in the house.
Nestled right next to Pier 60, Hilton Clearwater Beach Resort is one of our favourite resorts for admiring Clearwater’s striking sunsets. Overlooking the Gulf of Mexico, this lovely resort has its own stretch of private beach right by the pier, ideal for a more peaceful sunset viewing, or you could enjoy sundown in one of the Jacuzzis.
Opal Sands Resort is also a gorgeous resort ideal for visiting the lively Sunsets at Pier 60. For incredible sunsets from the comfort of your own room, be sure to choose a Sunset Suite. Nothing could be more indulgent than relaxing on your private balcony and quietly watching the sun go down.
Key West’s Mallory Square also comes alive when the sun starts to set. A myriad of fun street performers create their own stage right by the water’s edge, whilst locals and visitors bundle together to snap the perfect photo of the sun as it disappears behind the horizon. Ocean Key Resort & Spa is a great resort for those spending their weekend in this vibrant island city, with the infamous address of ‘0 Duval Street’, just outside Mallory Square. The resort even has its own Sunset Pier, a waterfront bar nestled on a pier, with cool nightly music, dancing, and delicious drinks for toasting another beautiful sunset.
The Indian Ocean is already an undeniably romantic destination. But, team the white sands, luscious rainforest and luxurious resorts with a breath-taking sunset, and your trip to paradise becomes even more memorable and idyllic.
In the Seychelles, there’s nowhere quite as stunning as sitting ‘on top of the rock’ at Six Senses Zil Payson. Nestled within lush forest-clad granite outcrops on the private island of Félicité, this sensational resort is the pinnacle of luxury, and its lofty location makes for sensational views of the sunset. Take a dip in the oceanfront pool and marvel at the ever-changing sky, or relax on one of the three white sand beaches and spend some time taking it all in.
Unwinding with a cocktail in hand and your feet buried in the sand as the warm glow of the sun illuminates the never-ending horizon…we couldn’t think of anything more uplifting. Kurumba’s Athiri beach bar in the Maldives is the ideal place to recreate this magical moment, nestled on the western tip of Vihamanaafushi and offering a beautiful backdrop of soaring palm trees behind the thatched-roof hut.
In keeping with the stunning Maldivian sunsets, Coco Palm Dhuni Kolhu is another tranquil hideaway perfect for intimate sunset viewing. Why fight the crowds when you and your loved one can snuggle up and marvel at the beaming sky alone? For the ultimate view, book a Sunset Lagoon Villa, with charming authentic Maldivian architecture and an expansive private terrace where you can peacefully watch day turn into night.
Holiday Ideas Travel Guides
- The world’s greatest golf courses in the most sensational settings
- The world's most incredible day hikes
- The most fabulous summer holidays for all ages
- The best destinations in the world for whale watching
- Fabulous holidays for 50-something couples
- The ultimate guide to eco travel
- Have an adventure on the river with these recommended experiences
- Fabulous holidays for 40-something couples
- Recommended travel bucket list ideas
- Five of the best destinations to visit in June
- Celebrate your 60th birthday with these recommended holiday experiences
- Celebrate retirement with these recommended holiday experiences
- Marry abroad with one of these recommended destination weddings
- Top 10 holiday destinations to experience in 2019
- Five of the world's best wine-tasting locations
- The world's top 10 scuba diving destinations
- Five of the best destinations to visit in May
- Five of the best destinations to visit in April
- Recommended touring holidays in Asia and South & Central America
- Five of the best destinations to visit in March
- Watch an incredible sunset at one of these recommended resorts
- Five of the best destinations to visit in February
- Five of the best destinations to visit in January
- Five of the best destinations to visit in December
- Recommended destinations for your family summer holiday abroad
- Five of the best destinations to visit this November
- Five of the best destinations to visit this October
- Five of the best destinations to visit this September
- Recommended destinations for your Christmas abroad
- Recommended holidays for solo travellers
- Tailor the perfect holiday with these recommended short tour options
- The most swoonworthy adults-only stays in paradise
- The ultimate guide for solo travellers
- The world’s most extraordinary wildlife holiday experiences
- Top 10 holidays for those special occasions
- Unique safari experiences with Sanctuary Retreats
- Recommended multi-generational holidays for your brood
- Top 10 most Insta-worthy cities in the world
- 16 of the world's most walkable cities
- Recommended destinations for your active honeymoon