Five of the best destinations to visit this October
The only way to escape October’s increasingly cold weather and Halloween spooks is to venture on a holiday abroad – right? Here are our top destinations to visit this October, whether it be for the warm climate, or the attractions that offer more treats than tricks.
October sees the beginning of the cooler summer days in Dubai, where the climate isn’t too hot – but not too chilly either. Instead, it’s the ideal temperature to top up your tan before the UK’s winter comes by.
JA Palm Tree Court
If you’re hoping to take the family on a sunny break in the school half term holidays, Dubai is the perfect choice. Many Dubai resorts offer a variety of child-friendly entertainment and kid’s clubs – and JA Palm Tree Court Hotel is no different. The hotel’s CoolZone Kid’s Club offers plenty of fun and games, whilst budding nature enthusiasts will love the Animal Corner, where you can feed fish, bird watch, and enjoy a pony ride. Don’t forget JA Wibit Water Park either – this thrilling aquapark is ideal for a family afternoon.
Rixos The Palm
Dubai’s All-Inclusive hotels are perfect for a stress-free holiday, too. Rixos The Palm’s All-Inclusive basis is brilliant – all you need to worry about is which cocktail to order next as you sunbathe on the private beach, or chill out by the in-pool bar. Again, this is a great shout for the October half term holidays – it certainly takes the stress out of keeping the whole family happy.
The summer months can get quite humid in Mexico, so October is a great time to visit thanks to the slightly cooler temperatures. Don’t fret if you’re a sun worshipper though – although the humidity starts to lessen, temperatures still soar up to 30 degrees. The ocean is still warm enough to swim in, too.
Cancun can be quite crowded in the summer, but October is perhaps one of the best months to escape the crowds, and it’s a great time to try out a few activities. A catamaran trip to stunning Isla Mujeres is an adventure you’ll never forget.
UNICO 20 87
If you’re aiming to journey to Mexico before the half term holidays, the adult-only UNICO 20 87 is perfect for you. The contemporary décor and luxury amenities entice many trendy holidaymakers, and this gorgeous hotel truly redefines All-Inclusive with the Anfitrión service – a local host who will give you an insight into the local scene, assist with check-in and check-out, make restaurant reservations, organise tours, golf days and spa treatments, and even more. The hotel even boasts an incredible spa, featuring locally-inspired beauty rituals using a wide variety of natural ingredients.
Dreams Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa
Want to explore Mexico with the kids in tow? The whole family will relish a holiday at Dreams Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa with its sugary sand beach, gorgeous pool area with swim-up bar, fun water sports and Explorer’s Club for Kids.
The Canadian Rockies are breath-taking at any time of the year, but if you’re hoping for quieter roads and hikes, October is a great time to visit. As the summer draws to a close, sparkling white snow starts to sprinkle itself on the soaring mountain peaks, making for an unforgettable backdrop to adventurous escorted tours and self-drives.
Be sure to check national park sites and campgrounds if doing a self-drive, as some sites may be closed. Nevertheless, going to the Canadian Rockies in off-peak has its positives, including less crowds and cheaper hotels.
The luxurious Rocky Mountaineer is a fabulous way to see some of the Canadian Rockies’ most beautiful sights, creating a care-free journey where all you need to worry about is enjoying the gourmet cuisine and spotting wild bears in the forest as you glide past. The Rockies Highlights tour includes a two-day iconic rail journey on board the luxury Rocky Mountaineer, escorting you from the stunning alpine wonders of Banff to jaw-dropping Kamloops, before then transporting you to the bustling city of Vancouver.
Self-Drive Great Parks of the West
Fancy a bit more of an adventure? A self-drive through the Canadian Rockies means that the mountains and lakes are your oyster, and you can create a stellar itinerary suitable to your desires. If you’re not sure where to start, the Great Parks of the West self-drive itinerary takes in some of the Rockies’ best sights, including Glacier National Park, Jasper, and Okanagan Valley – the perfect inspiration for your Canadian escapade.
New England is the one of the most scenic destinations to journey to in the autumn. The fall foliage here is picture-perfect, painting the landscapes with vibrant yellows, deep reds, glistening golds and burnt oranges – it will certainly take your breath away. This makes October time arguably one of the best months to visit the New England states – the weather is still mild, but the sceneries are well worth the slightly cooler breeze. Just remember to pack a few extra memory cards for all your foliage photos.
Hopping on an escorted tour is a wonderful way to make sure you see all of the beautiful autumnal sights. Autumn Colours is a great start, venturing through picturesque towns like Quechee, beautiful national parks including Acadia National Park, and brilliant attractions – including the Ben and Jerry’s Ice Cream Factory in Vermont.
New England's Spectacular Fall Foliage
From Boston and Vermont, to Maine and Rockport, the whole of this region is awash in these vivid colours, and New England’s Spectacular Fall Foliage tour is a fantastic way to both explore the area, and see the fall foliage in all its beauty. Scenic aerial tram rides in the White Mountains, cider and ice cream tasting in Vermont, travelling along the Freedom Trail – New England is sometimes overlooked, but the region is full of incredible attractions and activities.
Leave the cold UK weather and escape to the heat of the desert, swapping dark evenings with the bright lights of the strip. The summer can get quite hot when exploring the strip and its many extravagant attractions – or even the nearby Grand Canyon – and so the beginning of autumn is a great time to visit. As the month goes on, the temperature starts to drop slightly, so we’d recommend visiting early on in October if you can.
Venetian Resort & Casino
Las Vegas is certainly full of jaw-dropping sights, and the Venetian Resort & Casino is no different. Inspired by Venice, you’ll never forget enjoying a gondola ride through a gigantic hotel, floating along a canal that winds through the resort – including its own enormous shopping mall. Las Vegas is just perfect if you’re looking for a holiday full of one-of-a-kind memories to keep you going through the UK winter.
Las Vegas & Hawaii Twin Centre
And why stop there? The Las Vegas strip is a brilliant destination to include in a twin-centre holiday. After the excitement of the bright lights of the Las Vegas city, venture to beautiful Hawaii for a relaxing week in the sun, enjoying fruity cocktails, surfing the waves, immersing yourself in the culture, and resting on sugary sand beaches. The Las Vegas & Hawaii Twin Centre really brings together the best of both worlds for your October getaway.
Holiday Ideas Travel Guides
- The world’s greatest golf courses in the most sensational settings
- The world's most incredible day hikes
- The most fabulous summer holidays for all ages
- The best destinations in the world for whale watching
- Fabulous holidays for 50-something couples
- The ultimate guide to eco travel
- Have an adventure on the river with these recommended experiences
- Fabulous holidays for 40-something couples
- Recommended travel bucket list ideas
- Five of the best destinations to visit in June
- Celebrate your 60th birthday with these recommended holiday experiences
- Celebrate retirement with these recommended holiday experiences
- Marry abroad with one of these recommended destination weddings
- Top 10 holiday destinations to experience in 2019
- Five of the world's best wine-tasting locations
- The world's top 10 scuba diving destinations
- Five of the best destinations to visit in May
- Five of the best destinations to visit in April
- Recommended touring holidays in Asia and South & Central America
- Five of the best destinations to visit in March
- Watch an incredible sunset at one of these recommended resorts
- Five of the best destinations to visit in February
- Five of the best destinations to visit in January
- Five of the best destinations to visit in December
- Recommended destinations for your family summer holiday abroad
- Five of the best destinations to visit this November
- Five of the best destinations to visit this October
- Five of the best destinations to visit this September
- Recommended destinations for your Christmas abroad
- Recommended holidays for solo travellers
- Tailor the perfect holiday with these recommended short tour options
- The most swoonworthy adults-only stays in paradise
- The ultimate guide for solo travellers
- The world’s most extraordinary wildlife holiday experiences
- Top 10 holidays for those special occasions
- Unique safari experiences with Sanctuary Retreats
- Recommended multi-generational holidays for your brood
- Top 10 most Insta-worthy cities in the world
- 16 of the world's most walkable cities
- Recommended destinations for your active honeymoon