Information for your holiday to Antigua
Flights and transfers
- Flying from Dublin to Antigua takes approximately nine hours.
- Antigua is not a large island and the distances are generally quite short.
- Transfers to a majority of the hotels should not take any longer than half an hour.
- No visa is currently required for Irish passport holders.
- You should check visa requirements when you book in case of changes.
- Your passport must be valid for six months after departure from this country
- Children and infants must also hold their own passport.
- All travellers should check full entry requirements prior to travel.
- There is a departure tax of US$28 or ECS$70 payable by tourists when leaving Antigua.
English is the official language and is spoken by everyone on the island. Local dialects can also be heard in the town centres.
Taxis and buses
- Taxis are plentiful and fairly efficient in Antigua; they are a convenient way of exploring the island. Taxi drivers often act as local guides.
- Buses are a slightly cheaper way to get around with two bus terminals in the capital, St. John’s. There are a variety of routes around the island, however if there are a group of you it may be cheaper to hire a car or hop in a taxi.
The Eastern Caribbean dollar (EC$) is the official local currency although in practice the US Dollar is also widely accepted, as are credit cards.
110V-220V two and three pin plugs are standard.
Vaccination and health
- As health requirements change please consult with your GP or specialist travel clinic in advance of your holiday for specific information related to your travel and medical history.
- Additional information can be found by visiting MASTA Travel health.
- Antigua gets very hot so drink plenty of water and wear a high factor sun cream.
GMT -4 hours, British Summer Time -5 hours.
Antigua Travel Guides
- Useful facts
- A beginner's guide to Antigua
- Top 10 things to do in Antigua
- Recommended hotels for your Antigua family holiday
- Family holidays in Antigua for all budgets
- Luxury holidays in Antigua
- Planning your Antigua honeymoon
- Dickenson Bay beach holidays
- Hawksbill, Antigua beach holidays
- Eating, drinking and nightlife
- Things to do and excursions
- Pre-bookable excursions