Current Travel Advice for Customers.Click here
Shanghai holidays - A contemporary insight into China's culture
Enter the powerhouse city – full of chic restaurants, futuristic transport, soaring skyscrapers and energetic nightlife. Ultra-modern and revolutionary, you’ll believe you’re light years ahead of time.
An ultra-modern world that's ahead of the trends
Shanghai is East China’s powerhouse city; an economic force that can match anywhere in the world.
For some reason, even though everyone has heard of Shanghai, no-one can name a single thing that is there. But this lack of famous sites doesn’t detract from Shanghai – it improves it.
Instead of getting bogged down by ‘must-see’ attractions, you get the chance to experience the city for what it is – a juggernaut of modern Chinese living featuring everything from swanky restaurants, futuristic trains, skyscraper bars and eclectic, electric nightlife.
This super-modern, high-rise city could be described as an archetype East-meets-West situation with Chinese style and cuisine donning a hyper-capitalist mantra and building skyward.
Often characterised as a slightly cultureless vision of bright lights and business deals, Shanghai is striving to make cultural in-roads on the back of a number of museums and art galleries. The Shanghai Museum is actually one of the finest in the country.
Why visit Shanghai?
- Shanghai Museum is one of the best in China with the especially impressive Ancient Bronze exhibit being one that should definitely be considered a must-see
- If you’re looking for an upmarket shopping experience, Nanjing Road is brimming with classy boutiques and high-end brand stores
- Visit one of the scenic water towns and hop on and off canal barges to get to little bars hidden away
- Shanghai’s cuisine presents a delicious fusion of other foods from around the region – try to eat regularly in restaurants serving local dishes
- The nightlife here is really fantastic with everything from cheap bars sporting karaoke nights to uber-cool nightclubs and cocktail bars