Spirit of Antarctica
10 Nights from €10,789 per Person Including Flights
- Flights & taxes
- Checked baggage
- CAR licensed & bonded
- In resort assistance & 24 hour contact centre
Embark on an exciting, once in a lifetime journey to the virtually unhabituated, ice covered landmass of Antarctica. Unlike anywhere you have ever been before, you’ll find yourself listening to the humpback whales blows as they feed, experiencing a camping trip on shore in Antarctica and enjoying the thrill while kayaking, climbing, snowshoeing and ski-touring (additional cost).
This 10-night cruise will take you through Drake’s passage, the South Shetland Islands and the Antarctic Penninsula. You’ll have the chance to witness the breath-taking Tierra del Fuego National Park, learn about the history, wildlife and environment that surrounds you and admire the awe-inspiring landscapes, floating ice sculptures and wildlife from humpbacks, orcas, seals, penguins, albatrosses and giant petrels (AU).
Upon arrival in Ushuaia, you will be met by a representative and transferred to your downtown hotel for the night.
After breakfast at the hotel, you will join an insightful half-day city tour of Ushuaia. The tour takes you to the La Maison neighbourhood, the Government House and the upper area of the city, known for its amazing views of the Beagle Channel. Enjoy an interesting insight into the city’s history, including the antique houses that belonged to the first settlers in Ushuaia, as well as the End of the World Museum.
At 4pm, you’ll meet at the pier to board the Greg Mortimer vessel. There’ll be a chance to relish the amazing views of Ushuaia and Tierra del Fuego before your briefing.
In the evening, you’ll meet your fellow travellers and expedition team at a welcome dinner to start your exciting adventure through Antarctica.
Breakfast and dinner included.
Drake Passage Crossing
Your vessel will take you through the breath-taking Drake Passage today. Meanwhile, the expedition team will prepare you for the activities to come with a lecture on wildlife guidelines and biosecurity procedures, as well as an interesting talk about Antarctica’s history, wildlife and environment.
During the day, you’ll have the opportunity to photograph a variety of fabulous seabirds, including the elusive albatrosses and huge petrels that use the air currents created by the ship to gain momentum.
Drake Passage – South Shetland Islands
As you make your way to the South Shetland Islands, you’ll discover your first iceberg – a sight that will never be forgotten. Travelling below the Antarctic Convergence means that you’ll be surrounded by these huge, jaw-dropping ice sculptures, so be sure to get a good view on the observation deck.
Depending on the weather, the crew may attempt the first landing in Antarctica by the late afternoon.
What happens in the next few days is entirely weather dependent. Usually the journey will take you to the western side of the peninsula, but the experienced expedition team will have to create an itinerary each day depending on the ice conditions.
Antarctica is located deep in the south, meaning you’ll have 18-20 hours of daylight to fill with great activities and wildlife spotting. Generally, the team tries to offer two Zodiac excursions or landings each day. The Zodiac excursions include getting up close to awe-inspiring ice cliffs and magnificent whales, whilst the landings will see you exploring penguin rookeries, historic huts, and seal haul-outs (where they come to rest).
You could even take advantage of the opportunity to camp ashore – again, this is weather permitting. Think of it as a more comfortable insight into how Shackleton and other historic Antarctic explorers used to live when exploring Antarctica.
The itinerary is very flexible and can change instantly depending on weather or wildlife encounters. Activities include admiring protected bays home to a variety of whales, exploring wildlife abundant islands, slowly sailing through the phenomenal Lemaire Channel (on a clear day, the ice cliffs are beautifully reflected on the water), and visiting the world’s most southern Post Office to send a unique post card.
On day 10 you will re-enter the Drake Passage to start the journey back to Ushuaia. Whilst sailing through the crossing, you’ll have a variety of lectures and presentations about the Southern Ocean to enjoy. Time and weather permitting, the Captain may sail close by to Cape Horn on route to South America.
Your ship will sail through the Beagle Channel during the early morning, before docking in Ushuaia for disembarkation at 8am. From here, you’ll be transferred to either downtown Ushuaia or the airport for your onward flight.
- International & internal flights
- Arrival transfer from airport to hotel on Day 1 (preferred flights only)
- One night’s hotel accommodation with breakfast in Ushuaia on Day 1
- Luggage transfer from your hotel in Ushuaia to ship on Day 2
- Transfer from pier to downtown Ushuaia or to airport on Day 12
- On-board accommodation during voyage including daily cabin service
- All meals, snacks, tea and coffee during voyage
- Beer, house wine and soft drinks with dinner
- All shore excursions and Zodiac cruises
- Educational lectures and guiding services from expedition team
- Access to our onboard doctor and basic medical services
- A 3-in-1 waterproof polar expedition jacket
- Complimentary use of muck boots during the voyage
- Comprehensive pre-departure information
- A printed photo book produced with photos from your voyage
- Gratuities for crew will automatically be added to your bill. Please advise at the time of settlement if you would like this to be removed
- Port surcharges, permits and landing fees
What's not included?
- Transfers not mentioned in the itinerary
- Airport arrival or departure taxes
- Hotels and meals not included in itinerary
- Optional excursions not included in the itinerary
- Optional activity surcharges
- All items of a personal nature including but not limited to: alcoholic beverages and soft drinks (outside of dinner service), laundry services, personal clothing, medical expenses, gratuities, Wi-Fi, email or phone charges.
Departure Dates & Prices
|Departure Dates||Prices From|
|27 Nov 20||€10789|
Prices correct as at 6pm on 18 Jun 2019. Please call for final price. Prices are per person based on 2 adults sharing a room. Other durations available - call for quote. Daily departures . Different hotels of a similar standard may be used on certain departures. Supplements may apply on dates within certain dates during peak travel periods. GM
|Board Basis||Room Type|
|Full Board||Standard Room|